Saturday, July 5, 2008

Heroes....

Growing up I had two childhood heroes, Kirby Puckett and Jeff Blatnick. Kriby was the 5’7” smiling ball of fire that patrolled center field for the Minnesota Twins for over a decade. I remember watching his first game in the majors; he went 4 for 5 and stole a home run from Chicago White Sox. Jeff Blatnick was an Olympic gold meal winner in wrestling at the 1984 games. The amazing thing about his story was that he was diagnosed with cancer less than a year earlier. He not only won gold he beat cancer!

The common thread that runs through our heroes is their ability to inspire. They cause us dream big and transcend our world. Our thoughts move from the mundane of our current situation to a world where all seems right. But with most of our heroes, we’ve probably never met them and if we have it was a cursory “nice to meet you.” The longer I thought about heroes I started remembering people that had made an impact upon me. They were the ones that have not only inspired me, they also invested in me. Thinking back there were a few heroes that have been in my life, people who inspired me to seek greatness while investing in my life because they believed in me.

Each day God gives you a platform to be a hero. It’s amazing the difference a little encouragement can make in someone’s life. People wake up each day and struggle with discouragement, disappointment and depression. We’re in a world that celebrates mediocrity and failure. But now more than ever we have an amazing opportunity to make a difference. Look at the people in your life, what kind of difference can you make through speaking life and encouragement? Let me redefine what a hero can be, someone who not only inspires but they invest. So as you get ready to take on the week, here’s my encouragement to you…be a HERO!!!

No comments: