Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Perspective...

I don't know what it is, but I've always been able to maintain a fairly optimistic outlook on life. Generally I see days filled with more potential than problem and more good than bad. I'm just wired to find the silver lining no matter how big the storm cloud. Many people often ask, "Larry, do you ever have a bad day?". The answer is yes I do, but they're not that often and they don't last that long. I'm not suggesting I'm more spiritual, on the contrary I often times feel like a spiritual novice.

As I've thought about my perspective I have come to realize something about myself. I've realized that when things go wrong or bad things happen I revert to a very simple faith....a simple faith that believes God is still God and things will work out for his glory, despite how they seem. Some days, for me to keep the right perspective requires me to go extremely basic. Some days in order to keep the right perspective I have to go to "a bad day would be if Jesus was a liar". Since He wasn't a liar I can make choices that line up with what He said...what He said defines my truth despite the circumstances surrounding me.

How about you? When your kid is not acting right, do you react from the place of seeing their potential or from the place of only seeing the problem? When you spouse disappoints you, do you react from your insecurities in yourself or from your security in Christ? When bad things happen, and they will, is your response based upon the circumstances or is it based upon who you are in Christ.

One of the biggest predictors of how you will navigate life is your perspective. Look back at your life and the perspective you've maintained, if you don't like what you see make a conscious choice to change your perspective.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Larry! I really needed that today!

Diane said...

Larry I too needed this today! It's always nice to get someone elses "Perspective" to help bring your own into focus! Thank you!

James said...

Good word Larry, I notice that when I buy into the negative perspective I'm really focussing on to details instead of Him who holds all the details. I pray you and your family are thriving!
James Laing