Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Addicted to being the hero...

Sounds strange doesn't it....but it's something that I've come to realize about myself. I have the predisposition to wanting to be the guy that swoops in and saves the day. That can be a great thing and a huge blessing to others. But when your heart wants that opportunity for it's own promotion there's a problem. There's a fundamental flaw, it's called Pride. It's where you become addicted to the "thank you's". It's the place where you pride yourself on being "that guy"- the go-to guy. It's where your identity becomes wrapped in what you do, not who you are...

Don't get me wrong, being the go-to guy is not a bad thing. But when the heart is doing it for the wrong motives God's not glorified. I don't know about you, but the closer I get to God to more flaws I find in myself and realize an ever greater dependence upon Him. It's a whole new layer of learning what it means "deny myself".........

Can anyone relate?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, great stuff! Again, speaking of me? ha. Thanks man! LOVE IT!

Chris Hill said...

I can completely relate to that. Actually, that is something I constantly have to battle.