Wednesday, October 15, 2008

My Broken Wrist...

I found out yesterday that my wrist is broken. Over the past month it's been sore, but Monday night it became excruciating. I stopped in the middle of my workout and went home, took a few Tylenol and strapped on an ice bag. Tuesday morning I called one of our Elevators George. He's a PA at an orthclinic in town so he had me come by for an x-ray and to my surprise I have a broken wrist.

The crazy thing about the break is that it's old, not ever sure when it happen. It may have been over 20 years ago when I broke a different bone in my wrist and they didn't see this fracture. It may have happened at some other point that I don't remember, but it's definitely been there awhile. The official term is a non-union ulnar styloid fracture....non-union meaning the bones never healed back together like the should have.

It got me thinking about when old injuries, spiritual emotional or physical go untreated. There not a problem until the stress level increases to the point it exposes the fracture. In my case it hadn't bothered my until this point because I'm in the middle of work out routine where I'm increased the weight. It was the new weight, "stress level", that exposed the fracture.

If you want to become the person that God created you to be will require that you be catapulted into greater levels of carrying the load, the weight of the organization. Fractures of personality and spiritual maturity are not exposed at low stress levels. It's not until weight is added that the problems become apparent.

If you have old fractures you know about, you have to do the hard work of healing those breaks so they don't become a liability in the future. If you're like this case and you never new it was there, how will you respond? Will you aggressively pursue whatever means to fix the problem or will you put it in a cast and play that wait and see game? The calling is too significant and the stakes are too high for you to play it safe! Your calling demands that you take aggressive measures to heal the broken parts!

No comments: