Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Olympics....

There are a few things you need to know about me; 1) I'm extremely loyal and 2) I'm extremely competitive. Growing up as one of 5 kids, 4 boys and 1 girl, taught me a few things. I learned to be fiercely loyal. I could fight with my brother. I'm talking about a knock-down-drag-out fist fight, but if you said a word about him it's on. I also learned to be extremely competitive. Everything was a competition with my brothers, who could drink their glass of milk the fastest, who could hold the breath the longest and my personal favorite, who could spit the farthest. My competitive nature has improved with age, but it doesn't take much for it to rear it's head. Today in fact, Rachel, one of our children's ministry staffers challenged me to a push-up contest. Yes, I accepted the challenge and yes I beat a girl in a push up contest. Hey I'm not proud of it but I won a "Red Velvet Cake" that Jessi will be delivering tomorrow!!!

All that background to say I can't wait for the Olympics to start. It's the only time I can actually watch a soccer game and I can only do that if it's the United States is playing. I take great pride in being an American. I love my country and have been know to cry during the national anthem. I plan on watching every single moment possible and cheer for the Red, White and Blue. One of the best parts of the games are the stories of the athletes who have trained for years for this opportunity. Here are a few of the athletes/stories I'm really excited about watching:
  1. Jake Deitchler - From my home state of Minnesota. This kid was a three time state champ in wrestling and just graduated from high school. He qualified for the Olympics by winning the 66kg weight class. He beat guys that have been wrestling longer than he has been alive. I can't wait to see what Jake does, I think he will shock the world!

  2. Eric Shanteau - He's definitely not a household name, but you'll be hearing more about the swimmer in the upcoming weeks. He was diagnosed with testicular cancer 6 weeks ago and started treatment, but has put surgery on hold till after the games.

  3. Lopez Lomong - Lomong, 23, lived in a refugee camp in Kenya for 10 years before coming to the United States as one of the Lost Boys of Sudan. He was selected to be flag bearer of the U.S. team by his peers on the U.S. Olympic team.
    "The American flag means everything in my life -- everything that describes me, coming from another country and going through all of the stages that I have to become a U.S. citizen," Lomong said. "This is another amazing step for me in celebrating being an American. Seeing my fellow Americans coming behind me (in the Opening Ceremony) and supporting me will be a great honor – the highest honor. It’s just a happy day. I don’t even have the words to describe how happy I am."

As a kid my dream was to win an Olympic gold medal. I guess that one of the reason's I'm so fond of the summer games. We live in the greatest county that has ever been on the face of the earth. I hope you stand a little taller and cheer a little louder as you watch the good ol' USA.

No comments: